When Faced with a Mountain, I will NOT QUIT! I will Keep Striving, until I Climb Over, find a pass through Tunnel underneath, or Simply Stay and Turn the Mountain into a Goldmine, with God’s Help – Robert Schuler (From The Book ‘Tough Times Don’t Last, but Tough People Do’)
I recently read the Book, ‘ALIBABA The House That Jack Ma Built’ By Duncan Clark . One of the things that Struck me was Jack Mas Resilience in the face of challenges both real and foreseen.
Coming from a humble background, Jack ma went through the usual childhood phase just like every other kid growing up in China. Having learnt just a little English in school, he stumbled upon ‘the Internet‘ while visiting a friend who had a computer. What struck Jack Ma was that they couldn’t find any Chinese things on the internet…..and that was the first opportunity that Jack Ma accidentally identified..
But How could He put ‘Chinese things’ on the Internet?
He would need to learn Good English, He would also need to Understand Technology….The Internet…, and He would also need to Convince the Chinese about that Concept of being ‘Put On the Internet’
The above 3 factors never deterred him….though they appeared insurmountable at that specific time.
The Book details how he would Cycle daily for 9 good years , Yes, 9 years to a lake, where American Tourists would often visit. That for him would be a perfect place to practise and Perfect his little English..
And Guess What?...He made a good friend whom he kept in touch with as a Pen Pal…..This Pen Pal would later invite Jack Ma to the U.S.A……….
Its Public knowledge that Jack Ma was not a specially gifted child..infact there are a trail of Failures in his Life, way before Alibaba became a giant.
Did You Know that Jack Ma?
- Didn’t give up after failing many exams at school?
- Scored 1 out of 120 points on the math portion of his college entrance exam?
- Wasn’t deterred after being rejected from Harvard 10 times?
- Stayed optimistic after being turned down for 30 jobs, Including being a police officer! he failed.
- Was the only interviewee (out of 24) rejected by KFC?
- Couldn’t convince Silicon Valley to fund Alibaba?
- Told his 18 Alibaba partners that none of them could be execs?
But How did Jack Ma overcome All this Obstacles?
What Can we Learn from him? There’s so much but for today, lets look at 3 ways you can overcome your current obstacles.
1. Find your BIG WHY? What is the Reason, the Drive behind doing what you do? Is this BIG ENOUGH to fire you up every time your psyche gets deflated by challenges here and there? If you don’t have that BIG WHY, every time you fail, you will say, it’s not worth my trouble, and with that you lose your dream , you give up so easily. Find Your WHY. It will keep you focused, and self motivated
2. Surround yourself with a Trusted Group of Friends, business partners or Professional who are valuable to your venture, who will help you execute you dreams.
There’s a saying that if you surround Yourself with 5 fools you will surely end up being the 6th, but if you surround yourself with successful focused, purpose driven individuals, you will surely be the 6th. These group will encourage you, when you think you’ve ran out of options they will help you brainstorm on other paths that could equally lead you to your dream.
What kind of influence are your current friends rubbing on you?
3. Do whatever You do with an INTENSITY that will draw people to follow you. Be they your staff, your customers or your business partners etc. Be Passionate. Be Enthusiastic about the Dream you are working towards.
My Challenge to you for the week – Have You given up on your Dream? Don’t
What challenges have you recently encountered on your professional or business journey, that you think you cant’ handle?
Have You tried to circumvent them? Have you tried to look at alternative ways of dealing with the challenge?
Look Around You. Do you have reliable shoulders to lean on?
One thing I have realised is that majority of people need just a little nudging on from a trusted resource person, when the going gets tough.
It would be a great honor to work with you if you are struggling in any of these 3 areas.
1. You lack the discipline to invest consistently every month towards your goals
2. You are stuck professionally or career wise
3. You are passionate about building your business , but you have not started, and in case you have started, you are struggling to put systems to ensure your business works even in your absence
Connect with me via firstname.lastname@example.org
Great News! I cant Keep Still!
I Invite you to watch And Subscribe to my New You Tube Channel, where we shall delve further into The Back Plan Subscriptions.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33t44_7qdrk. Look out for the weekly video every Monday